Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Nighttime Odyssey

I'm currently listening to an audio recording of the Odyssey as I fall asleep each night. Most of the time I'm sleepy enough to just hear five minutes or so before drifting off into dreamland, but having something to listen to is the method I use (for better or worse) to keep me from thinking about today and tomorrow instead of sleeping.

Some books, of course, are better in audio than others. Homer's works, I think, are on the end of the spectrum most improved by being heard. I suppose this isn't too surprising considering that the Iliad and Odyssey come from an oral tradition. For the version I am listening to, the translator (W.H.D. Rouse) and narrator (Anthony Heald) also deserve credit for the strong cadence and lyrical dialogue.

Frequent repetition of the many phrases gives a rhythm to scenes, and embellishment of the simplest interactions allows the hearer to enjoy simply listening to the language rather than having to make an effort to follow along (though I am sure it helps to know the general story of the Odyssey). In each speech, characters cite the examples of other heroes and mythic figures, suggesting to the hearer an old and magnificent world. Last but not least, I enjoy the way characters are addressed not only by their names but their father's names with some modulation. For example, Achilles, son of Peleus, can be called Pelides. Some of my favorites to hear are Laertides, Tydides, and Cronion Zeus.

It's a bit of a contradiction, I suppose, to write about what is good about an audio rendering, but the above is my best attempt at explaining why I enjoy so much the five minutes before I fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment