Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Screenshot of the Day: Urban Dead


The graphics are pretty good for a text-based game.
In my most recent article for Corrupted Cartridge, I mentioned text-based RPGs, games that I've heard of, but never really played. I did some searching and found Urban Dead, a zombie survival browser-based MMORPG. I decided that my character would be a medic, and I was dropped off in the middle of Malton, the city Urban Dead is based in. Every action in the game uses action points, which are regenerated at the rate of one point every half hour, so Urban Dead is the sort of game you play for five minutes every other day, slowly building your character and trying to stay alive.

The great thing about text-based games that I've seen so far is the huge number of possible actions and ways to play. As a medic, I plan to be that solitary, noble, and slightly crazy character that shows up in one episode per season of a zombie TV show, helping out the main characters. I've holed up in St. Helier's church, and after making sure everything was barricaded, I started going on short scouting trips to get supplies and maybe even fuel for the generator I found.

One last interesting thing about Urban Dead is that every individual - including each zombie - is controlled by a person. When your character dies in the Urban Dead, they rise again as a zombie, and you make it your goal to hunt down the remaining survivors. Malton is a huge city, and I've only met one other survivor so far, but the mystery of what's really out there makes Urban Dead so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment