Friday, January 17, 2014

Dried Fruit

Coming back to college, I'm going back into the eating habits I started last semester. I eat my meals at the DUC, the center where my meal plan can be applied, but considering the restricted hours of all the university dining establishments, I've found it helpful to keep a healthy stock of non-perishable, but not necessarily healthy, foods in my closet.

My stash through the past months has included potato chips, pop tarts, raw oats, soft drinks, and occasionally peanut butter crackers. Enough to subsist on, but not a list I would want to share with my Health teacher.

This semester, thanks to my parents, I've come prepared with something more-- bags of dried apricot, apple, and pineapple. It's a small step, but I'm excited for the new possibilities. While I enjoy eating oats, for instance, I've been forced to acknowledge that they could use some flavoring.

All this is to say I have a high opinion of dried fruit at the moment. I searched the internet for things to do with it, coming up with a recipe for apricot bread, which I might try if I ever have access to yeast and a kitchen at the same time. Things are looking promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment