Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Snow Day

I was happy to find that the current cold in Charleston is out of the ordinary-- today, a morning of freezing rain was followed by an afternoon of snow. In the past 10 years, I've had a few chances to play around in snow, but I think today was the first time in my memory I've gone outside while the snow itself is falling.

Falling snow isn't quite as soft as I expected. My outdoor adventure began well enough, and I enjoyed making a path through fresh snow and seeing the flakes drift around me. I turned to go back after about half an hour, about the same time that the wind started to pick up and the snow began to fall more heavily. I've heard about losing visibility during snowstorms, and while this might not exactly have been a blizzard, I gained a new appreciation for how much snow can get in your eyes. Fortunately, the few cars that were on the road were going slow enough that there was little danger for stumbling pedestrians. Overall, I'm happy to have had a new experience of snow that was mild enough to be balanced by a cup of hot chocolate back at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment