Sunday, April 1, 2018

Home Cooking

In the past few years, I've been trying to slowly expand the list of things I can cook. Staples like rice and pasta were among the earliest items in my mental recipe book, and poached eggs are a highlight added last year.

After enjoying cooking with cast iron in the Yukon, I've acquired a cast iron skillet of my own for all frying purposes. I'm certainly attracted to the idea of a pan being imbued with all the flavors it encounters over time. Experiments with steak have been tasty, but not really restaurant quality. Burgers seem to be much easier. In fact, after making my first simple burger, adding nothing but ketchup and a slice of cheese, I became impressed by how bland and dry McDonald's burgers are. Maybe it's something about mass production. Alternatively, overcooking burgers is probably a good way to avoid food poisoning liability.

No comments:

Post a Comment