Sunday, December 8, 2013

Studying for Exams

Hey, Benjamin here. Exams are coming up this week, so while Chris is faffing about writing game reviews, I'm studying. In high school, I thought about studying the way I thought about vaccinations-- a short procedure to defend against worst-case scenarios. I've had to make a few adjustments for college in order to avoid the 'Other Freshman Fifteen'-- a fifteen percent decrease in your average test grade.

First of all, I've learned to talk to professors. In the small high school I went to, it wasn't hard to develop friendly relationships with teachers, but in classes containing scores of people, it's important to make sure your professor knows you, not so they can unfairly increase your grade, but so they can give you advice on how to approach the material they're teaching and study for the exam they're writing.

I've also tried to make it a habit to study for each class on a weekly basis, not just when there's an exam coming up. I also make sure I study until I understand everything, or at least almost everything. This can be a lot of work, so I prioritize study. Biology and Chemistry are coming first this semester, and, at the other end of the spectrum, it's a rare week that I study for Health.

Finally, I'm studying with other people. It makes learning a lot more interesting, and for me at least, keeps things more focused. Combined mind power can also solve questions quicker, and the one who understood a concept better can explain to the others. These aren't perfect steps, but they've kept me afloat in this semester of new things. I would write more, but I have to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment