Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Seawater and Inquiry

Hi, Benjamin here. For a long time, I've thought that one of the most disappointing things about nature is that drinking seawater is unhealthy for humans. Up until now, I've accepted that as truth, but a semester in college has taught me about the importance if inquiry. Is drinking seawater really bad? What if you drink other liquids as well as seawater? Is it just the taste that's bad?

And thus I went about my research, id est, a Google search (id est Google translate as well). While I looked up "id est" on Google translate, it dawned on me that the abbreviation i.e. probably stands for "id est". Things began to fit together.

That's one thing I really like about scientific inquiry-- accidents or distractions during the pursuit of one idea can lead to completely new and different discoveries. As inexperienced as I am, I would guess that this is because of the fundamental structure of the universe, i.e. everything is linked in some way. Also, drinking seawater is unhealthy, or at least not beneficial, because the human body uses more water to get rid of the extra salt than the volume of seawater imbibed.

2 comments:

  1. That, and enough salt can make your tongue swell until it suffocates you.

    ReplyDelete