Thursday, January 9, 2014

Does Gaming Take Too Much Time?

Hi, Chris here. I would have another 'screenshot of the day' ready, but I've found to my chagrin that Dragon Age II is a successor to Dragon Age: Origins in length, among other things. I've played for more than twenty hours, and the end is still barely in sight. The ridiculous length of many of the games I've played sometimes leads me to wonder how I can enjoy video games and still live a meaningful life. Some entertainment is acceptable, of course, but when you think of the idea of sitting down and watching a forty-hour movie, playing through a standard fantasy RPG seems slightly less reasonable.

As with many things, I don't have answers for these questions yet, but I'm going to try treating my individual games more as not-yet-released-on-Netflix TV shows, to be enjoyed in small portions every week, rather than gone through all at once, like released-on-Netflix TV shows. This means, of course, that I won't be able to play as many games as before, but I'm sure Benjamin will enjoy having time to focus on studying this semester.

On a completely unrelated note, Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming out this year. Following the current plan of a couple hours a week, I'll probably be finished playing halfway through 2015. I've been warned of this, and now it's coming true more and more: you can't do everything in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment