Saturday, April 11, 2015

IDOC of the Future

The IDOC is a tedious packet of tax documents required yearly for me to apply for financial aid. It's processed by Collegeboard. There are very specific requirements for paper size and print quality and mailing procedure. After bad experiences with IDOC in past years, I'd been mentally gritting my teeth for this year's submission.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I found out that IDOC can now be submitted digitally! It's a huge relief, and I suppose that the conversation at Collegeboard went something like this:

Employee 1: Well, it's time to process IDOC again.
Employee 2: Yeah, I really love sorting through tens of thousands of envelopes and making sure every bit of paper gets to the right place.
enter Employee 3: Hey guys, guys! I just looked at my calendar! The year is actually 2015!
Employee 1: Whaaa...
Employee 2: It can't be... it's 1980, right? Why else would we be dealing with all these envelopes?
Employee 3: No, we're really in the 21st century and we can use the internet and everything! It'll be so much easier for everyone involved!
Employee 1: I don't know... I always thought that financial aid should be based on how much paperwork the student is willing to go through.
Employee 2: Come on, you can always process SATs if you miss handling envelopes.
Employee 3: I'll start coding a new IDOC website right away!
all cheer

In any case, I'm happy to witness the slow digitization and simplification of my financial aid experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment