Saturday, April 11, 2015

Rain Adventure

I'd like to take a moment to take back everything I've said about rain in the US not being as powerful as in Nigeria.

I walked to the cafeteria today to get dinner, which took me about half an hour. When I was ready to go back to my dorm, it was pouring outside and very windy.

I wasn't carrying any textbooks or valuable electronics, so I decided that it was as good a time as any for a walk in the rain. I stepped out the door and was blown to the side by a gust of wind, and once I left the shelter of the building, I noticed that it was hailing.

Within about fifteen seconds, I was soaked. I was carrying some hot pockets in a paper bag, and the bag was saturated and fell apart after another twenty seconds. I had the whole sidewalk to myself.
The hail was one or two cm wide on average, and it broke the skin on the hand I was using to shield my head. Fortunately for me, the hail let up after a minute or so.

My dorm is on the opposite side of the road from the cafeteria, and by the time I reached the street crossing, the power had gone out and the traffic lights weren't working. It's a four-way intersection, but people were driving slowly and giving others the benefit of the doubt, so things were working out. I eventually ran across the road through a break in traffic.

I'm safe back in my dorm now; the adventure in the rain was certainly an exciting end to my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment