Sunday, December 10, 2017

Fashionably Late

A large part of my college education was social rather than academic. When I first arrived, I may not have been entirely adjusted to American culture, but the larger issue might have been a lack of practice in a variety of social situations. Perhaps the most concrete example is the timing with which one should show up to an event. Going to class? It doesn't hurt to be on time or early. Going to a party? If you show up 'on time' and don't know the host really well, you will by the time the party actually starts.

There is a certain level of lateness that is extravagant and carefree, and it seems hardwired into some people. What I did not previously know, however, is that there is another level of party-arrival lateness (in general) that is just normal. I discovered this both from arriving 'early' to some events and accidentally being late to others and finding that it worked out much better. With practice, then, I could plan my schedule to be exactly as late as I wanted.

To sum up, some are born late, some achieve lateness, and some have lateness thrust upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment