Monday, February 5, 2018

Simple Hot Drinks

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that I like drinking hot drinks but not making hot drinks. Just having to boil water as a first step makes the average hot drink more complicated to prepare than the average cold drink.

Buying hot drinks is, of course, an option, but as many people have calculated, costs add up quickly if you make a habit of it. What I need to find, then, is a tasty hot drink that I can prepare at home with minimal time and effort.

Hot chocolate is a good place to start-- using a mix, preparing hot chocolate is as simple as adding powder to boiling water and stirring. However, the real giants of the hot drink world are tea and coffee.

If simplicity is the goal, any drink that needs to have milk or sugar added won't cut it. With these rules, herbal tea seems like a good place to start. Without the influence of a sweetener, it can be fun to explore the tastes of different leaves and plant parts. Ultimately, my journey has led me to Twinings English Breakfast tea (a black tea) as a pleasantly generic hot drink that can be made with very little effort. I have a few herbal teas for niche situations.

When you take a step back, though, plain water is still the champion of simplicity. It tastes pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment