Sunday, March 11, 2018

Raising Standards

I heard a McDonald's ad on the radio the other day that focused on the new quarter-pounder burger that is cooked right after you order it. Specifically, this on-the-spot cooking with fresh beef makes for a 'hotter, juicier burger', which certainly sounds nice. However, a disclaimer at the end of the ad adds 'hotter and juicier compared to previous quarter-pounder', which really changes everything because I've eaten pieces of cardboard that were hotter and juicier than a McDonald's quarter-pounder.

Now, this isn't to say I don't enjoy McDonald's food, but affordability is their big selling point in my eyes. Will a juicier burger cost more? If so, who will be taking the cost? In a similar vein, I've been irritated recently by a tagline in Food Line radio ads: 'Raising Our Standards Without Raising Our Prices'. Does that mean they're paying their employees less, or have they found cheaper sources that are somehow higher quality? In a situation like this, I'd prefer they keep their standards low.

I've enjoyed having music on the radio while driving around, but I'm still looking for an alternative because listening to ads that are blatantly deceptive gets tiring after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment