Saturday, December 14, 2013

Screenshot of the Day: Fallout


They won't let me back in.
Fallout is a post-apocalyptic turn-based RPG. This might seem like a strange combination, but I'm surprised by how fast it grew on me. Fallout is also a classic, in that I barely made it out of the first map alive and died in the second. It's surprising, though, how immersive a world can be with aged graphics and turn-based combat where a grown man with a gun can easily be taken down by a few rats. Admittedly, it took me several minutes to figure out how to actually shoot, but once I found my trigger finger, I was impressed by the ability to choose whether you want to shoot the nearest rat in the head, or aim for the back left leg. I should probably admit now that I haven't yet gotten past fighting rats. Besides brushing up on my RPG history, the main reason I acquired Fallout (and Fallout 2) was that they were temporarily both free on good old games (.com). If you're reading this in the eight hours after posting time, they'll still be free: http://www.gog.com/game/fallout. From what I've seen of Fallout so far, I recommend it, adding my meager stamp of approval to all the stamps that have come before.

No comments:

Post a Comment