Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Walking on Autopilot

Hi, Benjamin here. As I took a walk this afternoon, having finished my last class, I realized that I've acquired the ability to go from my dorm room to CVS and back almost on autopilot. It would be too extreme to say that I was surprised when I found myself walking back to campus with a bagful of peanut butter crackers, but I was definitely operating on two different levels.

In some ways, this is a good example of how much I've settled in here at Emory. I've cemented in my mind pathways between classes that I can walk while barely conscious, which comes in handy when I wake up ten minutes before Latin. I've grown accustomed to the campus through these past few months, and in the same way, I think I've developed into a college student. I definitely don't fit all of the stereotypes, but after completing about one eighth of my university experience, I think I'm hitting my stride. There's a lot more to come. For now, I'll just share a riddle:

"I met a man carrying two packages of peanut butter crackers on the way to CVS. Each package contained six smaller packages, and each smaller package contained four crackers. Each cracker was made of two biscuits, and each biscuit had about one milliliter of peanut butter spread on it. How many milliliters of peanut butter did I meet on the way to St Ives?"

Answer:
None-- I was going to my local CVS, not St Ives.

No comments:

Post a Comment