Thursday, February 22, 2018

Car Dealer Ads

A lot of the ads I hear on the radio are for a handful of major car dealerships around Charleston. As far as I can tell, they perpetually have major discounts and deals going on-- first there was a special Christmas sale, then a New Year's event, then Presidents' day sales that stretch to fill the whole month of February. In general, you can get a new car for $4000-6000 less than the sticker price by trading in your old car, spending your tax return on a new car, or just showing up with a decent credit rating.

A few factors make me distrust these ads. For a start, loud voices and aurally abrasive sound effects put me in a bad mood within the first few seconds of most dealership ads. Secondly, car salespeople as a group don't have a great reputation for honesty, and from the style and content of their ads, it seems that none of the local dealerships are trying to set themselves apart from this stereotype. Also, the focus on affordability rings hollow in a system where most corporations prioritize profit; a discount is much more likely to be a sales tactic than a good deal.

In any case, I'm happy to add these dealership ads to my list of advertisements that make me less likely to do business with a company. Overall, I'm surprised that with the amount of money people spend on advertising, so many ads come across as empty and annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment